In order to increase your click through rate (CTR) on your Google pay per click campaigns you have to ensure that your Advert is positioned at the top of the results page, so on the left hand side typically in position 1,2 or 3.
There are a number of factors that will determine this rank. So your position depends on
- The default maximum cost-per-click (the most you are willing to pay for a click.)
- Your quality score; the higher your quality typically, the lower your cost per click.
- Expected impact from your Ad extensions.
You will naturally have the first two when you set up your campaign as you cannot get started without a maximum cost per click and Google automatically gives you a quality score, but the 3rd item you have to manually set up yourself. So it’s now really important that you add sitelink extensions to your advertising.
What Are Adgroup Extensions?
Extensions enable you to increase the information you have in your advert by allowing further links to different areas. This increases your footprint on your advert and so gives users greater choice of information they can click through to.
You have a choice of extensions that you can use
- Sitelink Extensions; These are extensions to other pages of your website; each link must go to a separate landing page.
- Location Extensions; As it suggests you can have your location details displayed, ideal if you have a store front and you want people to visit
- Call Extensions; This is your telephone number, make it easier for people to click to call when they are on the go.
- App Extensions; If one of your goals is to encourage App downloads this is for you.
- Review Extensions; You can share your positive write ups and reviews with potential new clients.
Your choice will be determined by your business type as some may not be relevant to you. All though, are very easy to set up.
If you already have sitelinks enabled, review them to make sure they are still working for you. If you haven’t got them enabled then now is the time to get them sorted. You can create them at the campaign or the adgroup level. Our preference is the adgroup level as then you can be more granular with your choices.
Simply go into your adwords account and click through to your adgroup level, click onto the Ad extensions tab and to the left hand side you can chose which extension you desire.
Then follow the onscreen instructions to complete the task. The most common one to use is the Sitelink extensions, which looks like this
Do take the time to complete all the details, just like an ad they have to go through an approval process so take your time to get it right.
Want us to do it for you?
We’d be more than happy to take a look at your campaign to see if it is working hard for you, just give us a call.